Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Starting a SIDS conversation


In memory of my son, Hayes Hitzeman, I envision a future in which no parent loses a child to SIDS - Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

I began the Hayes Foundation in 2002 days after Hayes' untimely and heartbreaking passing with the goal of raising awareness of SIDS and helping to further research so that we all might understand how to help prevent babies dying from this unexplained disease. One of the Hayes Foundation's major efforts is the This Side Up campaign, which is helping to distribute educational baby garments in hospitals across Virginia and Tennessee so that parents and caregivers will understand that the safest way for a baby to sleep is on his back.

As I begin this blog, though, I invite you to come back often for updates on SIDS research, the This Side Up campaign, and most importantly, to help create a community where we can spread the word about ways to reduce the risk of SIDS.

2 comments:

  1. Kyra,
    It's wonderful that someone like yourself had the courage to start up and commit to the foundation. I too lost a child to SIDS in 1994.
    In memory of Kelly and Hayes.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. In memory of Kelly and Hayes indeed. I am sorry for your loss and wish you well. I hope that we are saving the lives of infants by helping our communities be aware.

    ReplyDelete